Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Retire?

Hooligan's View
Many guys (my brother, brother in law, and friends) my age are retiring. Should I do the same? I’m 58 now; I may have 10 or 20 years left if I’m lucky. Why not enjoy leisure time, more time with my grandchildren and wife, or simply time to do the “things I want to do”. Don’t I deserve it?

The trouble is that I don’t think I can deal with leisure. You see I get bored when I have three days off from work. I’m trying to develop some interests, hobbies, or even other duties that will fill what otherwise might be empty space. I have gardening in the summer, running to keep me fit, reading when I find something that strikes me, and passing time with my family. I am, however, a long way from doing this full time. I am just starting to cultivate these activities and am not really very good at them just yet.

A big fear is that I will let my mind atrophy. I remember my wonderful uncle Kenny. When he was a young man he worked at the Goodyear tire factory during the day, and after work he tended to his farm in the fields and barns, all the while raising a large family. After he retired, I visited him in Florida at his retirement home, and when he and I took a walk he became excited about finding a loose bolt on the ground. That walk worried me for weeks. Never do I want to become interested in loose bolts on the ground. I want to contemplate grander issues of humanity.

While I’m developing a life that will survive my employment and seeking a path to enhance human existence, I think I had better stay employed. I’m sure all those people who know me deserve it.







No comments: